Friday 1 March 2013

Thing 14    - Delicious

I have always wondered what that little word was doing on Websites in the past - though I must admit that I hardly notice it these days - is that because I am used to seeing it or because it no longer appears so much?  Mental note to look out for this in future. 
I subscribe to two magazines - Good Food and Delicious, so I was a little confused the first time I noticed this word on websites.  I assumed that it either referred to the magazine - but why?! - or it was some other delectable site that was worth a look.  My initial investigation many moons ago was obviously a source of great disappointment to me as I still had no idea what it was, only that it was not, in itself, delicious.

I was also disappointed to learn that it was another way of organising Bookmarks.  I love organisation, and was quite excited by this week, but I have Bookmarks on Chrome, and Favourites on Internet Explorer, so what could this offer me that these could not?

Michael's instructions made it look very easy, but I must admit I have struggled and struggled with this.  I used Chrome as my Browser of choice. The website did not tell me to check my email for validation, nor did it present me with a registration form  - just a request for a username and password.  After that, nothing really happened.  I tried searching for websites, but kept getting error messages which contained the words 'destroy', 'null' and 'javascript' which did not fill me with confidence.  Eventually I worked out which was my Bookmark toolbar and managed to drag the Add to Delicious tag there.  I also checked my email despite having no message other than Michael's instructions, and did find a link to activate.  OK - up and running, I thought.  However, whatever I searched for yielded the same error messages and no results.  After half an hour of this, I gave up.  Even clicking on the 'Help' gave me a blank page.  I know when I am being ignored and this was with bells on.  
Thinking back to my experience with Browsers, I decided that it may work better on Internet Explorer, so logged on there instead.  The page looked different when it cam up, but required me to log in multiple times - each time I searched for something (despite the confirmation at the top that I was logged in. Also, I could not drag the Add to Delicious icon into the Bookmark bar, which had worked with Google Chrome.  I did, however, start to get sites through searching though far too many to be of any use.  When I went onto a website of my choice and tried to add it, it refused to co-operate again.  Not only did that stop working, but other website tabs I had opened also stopped working and I was invited to Kill my Unresponsive pages.  What a great idea.  I can take a hint.  So not for me so far, "Delicious vill also go on my list"  (Dad's Army). It also involves using tags and @ signs which is so confusing on Twitter.  Give me the ordinary Bookmarks any day.  
CurlyWurly, you are chewy, tough, full of holes and take for ever to finish  -  meet Delicious.






No comments:

Post a Comment