Monday 4 March 2013

Thing 15 - Library Thing


It is official - Google Chrome really hates me.  It refused to open up the instructions to Thing 15, no matter how hard I tried and just kept spinning that circle.  The Task Manager refused to acknowledge the difficulty and Google Chrome refused access to anything to do with Sot23.  I therefore had to creep back to IE, which worked first time.

I do like Library Thing as well.  This would be great if you were just setting up your Book Collection or wanted to catalogue a part of it - for instance my rather excessive collection of cookery books - which a friend could then consult if he/she wanted to borrow one.  However, the thought of cataloguing the hundreds and hundreds of books in our house is just too daunting and overwhelming to be feasible, and probably, ultimately, pointless.

Recommendations are useful, but it is true that you get them all the time from Amazon anyway.  And this is flawed as I am a member of a Book Group, so
 a) I have hardly time to read the books each month, let alone the recommendations of others I have never heard of
  b) a lot of the books I buy are to read for my Book Group and suggested by people with different tastes to mine, and I would not willingly read them again or others like them in a month of Sundays
But the local info is useful and if I was 30 years younger and had more time and less books, I would enjoy doing this. 
And I am speaking as someone who keeps an Excel spreadsheet of all the things in my Chocolate store with sortable columns for Manufacturer, Best By Date and Intended consumption date, updated with joy each week.  Enough said.



Google Chrome has just responded to this post by opening up 7 downloads of Library Thing, an hour after my request.  It is war.


2 comments:

  1. Pam versus Chrome, the battle begins...

    Chrome is the sympathetic companion I turn to when Internet Explorer refuses to cooperate; to me Chrome is like a well trained dog that does what it's told and if there are ever error messages they're general helpful ones. IE is more like a cat - it will sometimes do what you want but is fickle and not to be trusted!

    Nicki

    ReplyDelete
  2. I certainly used to think that, but I am now very confused. They seem to be taking it in turns to be troublesome - maybe like 2 children!

    ReplyDelete