Tuesday 26 March 2013

Thing 20  -  Slideshare


As with other resources, this was more or less successful depending on the browser.  For instance, I found it very difficult to get to the Home page with IE.  It insisted I remained in Forums.  However, Chrome was fine and I searched the University of Warwick site and found the following presentation.  This was interesting to me as it echoed the reservations I have about Libraries using Facebook, but also said that at least if the Library had a presence, there was at least a choice and you did not need to use it.  In fact, a very interesting presentation all round, and some interesting facts and figures near the end.
This is also an example of a good presentation.  A few I looked at were extremely wordy with almost a leaflet of text on each slide.  It would have taken about 10 minutes to absorb all that information.  Also, many were much too long  - 50 slides plus of very detailed facts and figures which must have been excruciating to have attended.  However, I thought this a very good one:




Another interesting one I found on the chocolate theme is below.  I do quite like some American chocolate, and so I did find this interesting from a content point of view. But also, it would have been interesting visually as lots of graphs, pictures and figures which you could look at whilst listening to the explanation.  Far better than masses of text. I also like the title slide as they look like chocolates to share and fitted the theme.  Though I have to say that I never share my chocolates unless bought specifically for that purpose!




Confectionery final from sweetyroy


It has certainly made me think about my own presentations, and although I do try to make them fairly visual and interesting, maybe I could do better.  I would definitely use it again and like it very much.  However, I can see there are also dangers in using it - especially the slides with facts and figures, graphs, etc - you have no way of ensuring they are accurate or what was consulted to produce that information, so caution would be advised. I was amazed at sales of chocolate in the US - with an overwhelmingly large percentage being at Halloween and not much at all at Christmas - totally different to our own sales - but that is Trick or Treating for you! 

It may cut down on work producing presentations, but I think not on the whole as by the time you have searched and browsed, cut and pasted, you could probably have produced your own.

I must also say that I had problems with the embedding of these presentations as it was not clear that you had to switch to html to paste into your blogger, and then back to compose.  This may seem very simple to some people, but it is that omission of detail which can be frustrating to people less technologically gifted!  So thank you, Nicki, for sorting me out!

1 comment: